You are here:

Immigration Issues/H1-B Sponsorship from a Non-Profit



   I am currently based in India. A Non-Profit company based in Virginia is willing to Sposnor me. I have heard that Non-Profit Research Organisations or educational organisation are exempted from the Visa Cap. Now, the company that is sponsoring me is Non-Profit, with 501(c)(3) status, and impart Training Courses in Contracting and Management.

   Can my H-1B Visa be exempted from the annual Cap ???
My company provides Training, not education. But "Training" and "Education" are somewhat synonymous ?

Please advice.

Puneet Sharma

To be be exempt from the H-1B quota the company should be a non-profit organization affiliated with an institute of higher education. I would suggest that you request the company to contact an immigration attorney to determine if it is subject to the cap or not.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer, Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]