Immigration Issues/H1 Visa

Question
Hi

I am currently on H1 visa with a South Asian publication. I am looking for a change in the profession. Law has always interest me. I needed your guidance on that, firstly I want to know if paralegal can in any way be qualified for the H1 category. If not, then what do I need to do minimum to be able to take up law as a profession. Incase I do pursue the stream which type of study can also be benefical for me incase I mone back to India. Also, which institute would you recommend for a part time or online study.

I do appreciate your taking out time to answer my questions
Thank You
Shilpa  

Answer
Hi Shilpa:

You can be sponsored by a law firm or other employer for Paralegal or other suitable title such as Legal Assistant. I recommend that you have completed at least a 2 year paralegal course in order to ensure that you will be considered to be qualified for the position. Care will also have to be taken in preparing the H-1B petition to meet the standards of a specialty occupation, i.e., the position normally requires the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree to properly perform the job.

A few years of employment experience as a Paralegal would also qualify you in lieu of formal coursework in paralegal studies. I do not know which institutes would best serve your needs.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora