Immigration Issues/H1 as a consultant

Question
Hi Ajay

I am a student on F1 visa and will start my OPT soon. I want to know if it is possible to work in USA as a consultant and file for H1 visa on my own as a consultant. Please give me the complete picture including legal, monetary and time wise.

Thanks,

Answer
Hi Mohan,

You can open your company (even if you are the only employee). Please see an Accoutant as to what type of corporation you should establish (S corp, C corp, LLC, etc.).

This company can file an H-1B petition for you. Since it must be shown that this company is capable of paying you a salary, it is helpful if there is an Agreement or Contract between the company and the client company where you will be assigned as Consultant.

In response to your question about legal fees, our law firm's legal fee is $1500 for H-1B petition. The USCIS filing fees are additional and are payable to the USCIS. Typically, the filing fees are $320 plus $750 plus $500 if the company has fewer than 26 employees, and $320 plus $1500 plus $500 if the company has 26 or more employees.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora