Immigration Issues/H1 extension beyond 6 years

Question
Mr. Arora,
First I would like to thank you for your noble service to the community. My H1B expires on October 31, 2004 finishing the 6 year duration. My current employer filed for the labor certification for GC on October 7, 2003 which was prior to more than 365 days from the H1B expiration date. My question is - when is the earliest I could apply for the extension beyond 6 years? Is there any chance that this extension can be denied? I work for a Fortune 500 company and I have never been out of status.
Thanks in advance.

Surajit Pal

Answer
Hi Surajit:

The general rule is that you can apply up to 6 months prior to the requested start date. Therefore, under normal circumstances you would have been able to file on May 01 (or thereafter) and request validity dates from November 01, 2004 to Oct. 31, 2005.

However, in your case the Labor Cert. must be pending for at least one year. Therefore, the earliest that you could file would be Oct. 08, 2004. You would request the validity dates from Nov. 01, 2004 to Oct. 31, 2005. It is OK if the H-1B petition has still not been approved prior to Oct. 31, 2004; you can continue working without interruption as long as the H-1B ext. petition is filed before Oct. 31, 2004.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora