Immigration Issues/H1 and minimum pay

Question
I heard about you from my friend who got the perfect advise from you. I thought I will get some feedback from you regarding my situation.

I came here on H4 and got transfered to H1. I was working in the same company for the last 4 years. But from last March onwards, current work i am doing has got a major cut. My company said they have to cut my salary too. So now they are paying basically 1/2 of my regular hourly rate. Can this be possible?. They said, they can pay me full rate for 1/2 time. ie instead of 40 hours per week, just 20 hours per week?. Is that allowed in the case of H1?. please advise.

Answer
Hi Meera:

Your company can pay you less than the amount stated on the H-1B petition only if the company files an amended H-1B petition with the USCIS (formerly the INS). An amendement to convert to part-time job is possible, but the company should file the H-1B amendment with the USCIS in order to legally pay you the lesser amount.

I recommend that the amendment be filed in order to protect you in the future. For example, when extending H-1B status (either with the same employer or another employer) you will normally have to attach recent pay stubs with the H-1B petition. Your pay stubs should be equivalent to the salary noted in the H-1B petition that was filed earlier in order to easily extend your H-1B status

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora