Immigration Issues/H1B

Question
Dear Ajay,

I am a greencard holder for 15 months now. My girlfriend has an H1B visa and she is currently working. Her visa will expire on 2007. If I marry her, do you think I can sponsor her to become an immigrant like me or convert her h1B and we both can apply for US citizenship someday? How long is the conversion then after we get married? We are both in the medical field.

Thanks.  

Answer
Dear Pec,

You can file a petition for alien relative for your girlfriend (once you marry her), but this will not allow her to adjust status. She will be in the family 2nd preference category (F2A) and it takes several years for a visa to be available in the category. Therefore, she should plan on maintaining valid nonimmigrant status (such as H-1B) in the U.S. until adjustment of status can be filed. The following webpage from out website is helpful:  http://www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

She will be an immediately relative once you become a U.S. citizen, and her adjustment of status can therefore be filed immediately once you become a citizen. However, you cannot apply for citizenship until you have been a green card holder for 4 years and 9 months.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora