Immigration Issues/H1B to L1 Transfer



I had the following doubts and hope you can help me out.

My spouse is here on H1B visa and and I am on H4. I wish to start working. We have been here in the US for 11/2 years and he has been in this company for the last 5 years.

1. How can my spouse change his visa from H1 to L1?
2. What is the time/money required for this?
3. How long will my L2 visa take once this is done?

Also, on L2 visa, can I work in a mall on part time basis or do I need to have specialized skills?

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this.


1. Yes he can do this provided his job meets the L1 criteria.
2. It can be premium processed by paying an extra $1,000.00 file fee.
3. Your L2 will be approved simultaneous with the L1.

Yes, you can work wherever you wish with an L2 and EAD.

Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.