Immigration Issues/H1B NGO


Hi, I have a business administration degree, have been in the US in a tourist visa for 3 months (since august), I started to do some volunteer work in an NGO, a week ago they told wanted to offered me a job for a one year program that starts next month, they want me because of my foreign language and my experience in the these kind of projects. They could fill all the documents needed for a H1B visa, the problem is that they must hire someone that can start working next month and they are worry about the amount of time that could take the visa paper work. With my tourist visa I could stay until January, however if it is necessary I could go back to my country and process the visa there. Please tell me what I could do to get the visa as soon as possible. Is it easier to get a H1B while I am here or in my country?

Other information: This NGO is not a research organization neither has any relation with an university.

First, your volunteer work is illegal and you violated your tourist visa terms. I would advise you to stop working immediately. Since there are no H visas available at this time, you should be able to get an H effective from Oct'2008.At this time there are no options other than waiting to apply for H visa from your country.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.