Immigration Issues/H1B Visa in Colombia


QUESTION: I came to the US in 2000 with a tourist visa, and then change for F-1 student visa for 4 years and after I passed all the test i become a bilingual teacher and now I have a H1B visa approved for 3 years, I am beginning my third year and I want to stamp the visa in my passport, but several people told me that getting out of Colombia, immigration is canceling the visas. I already start the residence process, and I dont want to take any chances. Can I stamp my visa in Canada or Mexico?
ANSWER: On a general note you can get your visa stamped in Canada or Mexico.  These consulates to grant nonimmigrant visas.  You can access on line these consulates to get the requirements.
Mark Ashley

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: My Attorney told me that because is the first time, my visa have to be stamped in Colombia, that after that I can go to Mexico or Canada. I dont know if this is a new rule because my sister a few years before did it in Mexico the first time.  Please advise

Since you have an attorney you should double check with him.  He should privide you the rules or memos that discuss this to make sure he knows what he is talking about.  It would not be right for me to give you advice since you are represented by another attoney.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.