Immigration Issues/H1B Visa

Question
Hi, I am on an H1B visa.... my green card is in process (6 months now. My H1B is with GE (engineering). I want to get my real estate sales license and sign up under a broker as a contractor...is that legal under the H1B? If not... I know that after the 1st and 2nd part of the green card application I get a work permit of sorts...how long is that taking these days?

Also, I would like to apply for adjunct part time teaching postions....is that possible under my present status... I would remain at GE working full time and just teach a course in the evening.

Answer
Hi Karla,

You can be paid only by your H-1B employer. However, you can have multiple employers file an H-1B petition for you (part-time position is OK as long as the position requires at least a bachelor's degree) and then you can be paid by multiple employers. Since a broker position does not require a bachelor's degree, you could not work in H-1B status even if the employer sponsored you. Part-time adjunct teaching position is fine if the university sponsors you.

As to when you will receive general employment authorization, and thus not depend on maintaining H-1B status, depends on when your I-485 (adjustment of status application) can be filed.

The following articles from our website are helpful: http://www.h1b1.com/concurrent.htm and http://www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora