Immigration Issues/H1B cap and H1B1 set asides

Hello sir,

I graduated with a master's degree in business from a university in the US in May 2007. My OPT started on July 25, 2007 and now I will start working for a company that will file my H1B application after October 1st, 2008. In this case this application would be for FY2009 and this means I can start working on H1b only after October 1st,2008. However, I heard that every year certain numbers of unused H1B1s are added to H1B cap. Here is the explanation that I have found on the internet:

Unused Chile/Singapore visa numbers for a particular fiscal year are to be used within the first 45 days of the next fiscal year. As FY 2007 H-1B petitions are approved for start dates beginning no earlier than the first day of fiscal year 2007 and reasonable anticipated usage of approved H-1B petitions for any 45-day period exceeds 8,000, USCIS has incorporated its reasonable projection based on H-1B1 usage to date that 700 H-1B1 visa numbers will be used in FY 2006 into the FY 2007 H-1B cap count by adding theremaining 6,100 unused H-1B1 visas back into that count, resulting in a total cap of 64,300 FY 2007 H-1B visas approvable. Because unused H-1B1 visas for FY 2006 have been already allocated in this manner,there will be no additional later H-1B filing season to use these visas. The 6,800 visas reserved from the FY 2007 H-1B count for FY 2007 H-1B1 purposes are anticipated to be handled in a similar manner with respect to the FY 2008 H-1B cap count during calendar year 2007. This allocation of FY 2006 H-1B1 visas based upon reasonable projections of usage to the end of the fiscal year will not affect the availability of H-1B1 visas in any way; they will continue to be fully available, with any year-end difference between actual and projected usage expected to be minimal.

I am sorry but I am having hard time to understand what it means even though I read it many times. Now I am on OPT and my question is " Is there any way for me to file my H1B application in October 2008 for the fiscal year 2008? I mean, can my company file my H1B application by taking advantage of those unused H1B1 visas after October 1st, 2008 and by this way can I start working in October 2008? Or how are those unused H1B1s given to only Chile/Singapore citizens next year?

Thank you very much.

Salih: It is only available for Chile/Singapore citizens. The other exception to the quota is if you get employed by an University or other organization that is exempt from the quota. I also want to point out that based on what you stated, your OPT will end in July 2008 (counting the the 60 day grace period) there will still be a gap before the Oct'2008 start date. So you need to figure how you are going to overcome this gap.
Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,