Immigration Issues/H1B out of status

Question
My contract with company A will be terminated on March 7. Meanwhile,
company B is going to start applying for my H1B transfer, but they gave
me an estimate of  April 1 as my starting date, Can I stay in US legally
between March 7-April 1? If not is there any thing I can do (change to another
visa etc)? Thank you

Answer

There is only a 10-day grace period in H-1B status, so Company B should file you for within 10 days of March 07. It is OK if your employment will begin on April 01...Company B only needs to file for you within 10 days of March 07. If not, although the H-1B petition by Co. B will be approved, you may not be granted "extension of status" through Co. B, which will entail traveling to a U.S. Consulate outside the U.S., applying for an H-1B visa in the name of Co. B., and then entering the U.S. in order to activate H-1B status again.

Changing to another status such as visitor (B-2 visa) is also problematic. If the B-2 is approved after H-1B through Co. B., then you will no longer be in H-1B status but in B-2 visa status, as you can hold only one status at a time.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora