Immigration Issues/H1B transfer

Question
I have filed H1B petition in May this year. In June I got laid off and after one month I found a new job with the company that is willing to sponsor me. My H1B based on my previous employment just got approved. I know my current employer has to petition for transfer. I would like to know what steps should be taken now, how much is the transfer and how long it will take.  

Answer
Technically, the transfer may not go through since you were out of status since layoff. A transfer filing is the same as a new filing just a different box is checked off. You can get an answer within 2 weeks if you pay Immigration an extra 1000 and file form I-907. The filing fee for the transfer is either 1440 or 2190 depending on how many employees the new company has. You may have to consular process due to out of status issue.

Robert

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>