Immigration Issues/H1B transfer: When can I start the new position?

Question
Dear Sir:

I will change my job soon and the new employer has submitted the H1B petition last week, but we have not got the receipt from USCIS yet.

Could you please help me with the two questions:

1. Currently how long will it take to get the H1B transfer receipts from USCIS? The new employer is in Chicago and I think it belongs to CSC.

2. The new contract starts on Sept. 24. If I had not got the receipt at that time, can I start the new job?

Thanks a lot! Appreciate any info.
John

Answer
John,
You can begin working for the new company even without a receipt as long as you know for sure the employer has filed and the USCIS has received the petition application.  However, I would suggest that your best interests would be served by transferring only after receiving the receipt from the CSC. I do not know at present the receipt processing time.
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley