You are here:

Immigration Issues/H1B transfer: When can I start the new position?


Dear Sir:

I will change my job soon and the new employer has submitted the H1B petition last week, but we have not got the receipt from USCIS yet.

Could you please help me with the two questions:

1. Currently how long will it take to get the H1B transfer receipts from USCIS? The new employer is in Chicago and I think it belongs to CSC.

2. The new contract starts on Sept. 24. If I had not got the receipt at that time, can I start the new job?

Thanks a lot! Appreciate any info.

You can begin working for the new company even without a receipt as long as you know for sure the employer has filed and the USCIS has received the petition application.  However, I would suggest that your best interests would be served by transferring only after receiving the receipt from the CSC. I do not know at present the receipt processing time.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.