Immigration Issues/H1B

Question
I am a international medical graduate in persuance of H1 B visa. My visa would be filed in mid March, 04 and I am currently on a H4.
As the cap has been lowered to 65, 000, do you have any predictions as to when the cap will be filled? Any statistical data from past year for comparisons?
Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Gaurav:

Here is an excerpt from the update section of our website at www.h1b1.com

INS Releases H-1B Count

INS has advised AILA that, as of May 23, 2001, it had approved 117,000 H-1Bs toward the cap, and had another 40,000 cap-subject H-1Bs pending. The overall H-1B quota for this fiscal year, which ends September 30, 2001, is 195,000. We will keep you posted. Please remember that someone extending or transferring their H-1B status is not subject to the cap. H-1Bs hired by institutions of higher learning, affiliated research organizations, nonprofit research organizations and governmental research organizations are also exempt from the cap.

Gaurav, I believe that the cap will be reached in March. In any event, file through premium processing and I wish you the best. If you can convince your employer to file in Feb., you should be OK.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora