Immigration Issues/H4 to H1 Status

Question
Hi

My wife has joined me on H4 visa this February. She applied for H1B on April. Later she became pregnant. She got an H1 status approval on Aug along with approval for status change. Her pregnancy due date is end of November. Due to that she can not work using H1 though she is allowed to work after 1st Oct. Her employer had asked her to send a leave letter stating the same and is not running the pay role. What would be her H1 status if she is willing to start work from Jan 08? When can she file her SSN number? Since pay cycle is not running will her H1 status go void?

Thanks in advance
Sashi

Answer

Due to your wife's medical condition, it is OK if she starts work in Jan. '08. She can apply for ss# anytime based on the H-1B approval notice granting her change of status, although she should apply now so that the ss# is issued before she starts work. The H-1B approval notice will not be void if she starts work in Jan. '08.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora