Immigration Issues/H4 to H1 conversion

Question
Hello

I have a question for you. I'm on H1 status. My wife is on H4. She has enough experience to work on H1 visa. Is there any provision availability for H4 to H1 transfer? Will it be a fresh H1 filing or just change of visa status? For this how much amount of fees should be paid? She got an employer who is ready to file H1B visa for her. She should then go for fresh H1B visa or just a visa conversion? I dont know anything about visa conversion, can you help me?

Thanks very much
Sashi

Answer

Your wife's employer in the U.S. should file an H-1B petition requesting change of her status from H-4 to H-1B. If she does not have a willing employer, nothing can be filed.

Your wife will be subject to the visa cap, and therefore the earliest that the petition can be filed is April 01, 2007 with employment start date of October 01, 2007.

The USCIS filing fees are normally $190; and $750 (if fewer than 26 employees at the company) or $1500 (if 26 or more employees); and $500.

The following website may be helpful: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora