Immigration Issues/Hi to L1 Transfer

Question

My situation is similar to

http://experts.about.com/q/Immigration-Issues-344/L1-H1-L1-1.htm

I was here on L1 with company A (visa expired May 2006 and petetion/I94 valid until 2008), Company B applied for my H1.I did not know about the "change of status"  possibility and thought it would be a fresh H1.Then there was an RFE from USCIS.At that time while discussing the details I came to know that Compnay B has applied it as "Change in Status"..Then I instructed them to apply as a fresh H1,when they submit details of RFE (which they did)

What happened was that the H1 got approved as "change in H1
status"

may be a mistake at the USCIS end.Company B is willing to help me to change it to a consular case.

Will USCIS change the H1 from "Change of Status" to Fresh H1

Becuase still i am evaluting the pros and cons of working with Company A itself..I was applying for this as an additional option

What are the options I have

Thanks in advance for your advice

Tom

Answer
Hi Thomas,

You are now automatically in H-1B status. It cannot be changed unless you either: a). depart the U.S. and apply for L-1 visa abroad at a U.S. Consulate and then enter the U.S. on L-1 visa, or b). Co. A files a L-1 petition for you requesting change of status from H-1B to L-1.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora