Immigration Issues/I864 Support

Question
Hi, I am about to sign an I864 for a relative in China.  I understand that I am responsible to supporting the immigrant for 125% above the poverty line, as well as ensuring that the immigrant does not get any mean-tested public benefits.  My question is what if immigrant has medical situation and unable to pay the bill, such as cancer, pregnancy, long-term disability, and accident involvement.  Am I responsible for paying those?  What other concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Rick,

The person signing the I-864 is responsible for medical bills if the hospital is part of a state or county or federal government agency. The way to protect yourself, or at least minimize any potential liability, is to ensure that your relative has medical insurance.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora