Immigration Issues/ILLEGAL FIANCE

Question
I am an American engaged to a man who is in the country illegally. There is no record of his entry to the United States. Does he need to leave the US to apply for his papers after we get married?. Thank you and God bless.

Answer
You have a real problem.  Depending on when he entered, how he entered, and whether anything else has ever been filed for him, it may not be possible for him to get any status without leaving the US.  He also will be subject to a 10 YEAR bar to reentry if he leaves the US after remaining here illegally for more than 365 days.

You really need to retain an attorney to discuss this in detail.  He may have options, and it could be quite simple, or it could be hopeless without a change in the law.

James D. Mills, Esq.