Immigration Issues/Illegal Migrants

Hello David
I'm a writer working on a middle grade novel for kids. One of my characters is a birth right citizen living in the U.S. His father, a Mexican citizen, has tried twice to sneak across the border at Nogales, Arizona and has been caught both times. Can you please tell me the exact procedure that's followed by Border Patrol agents when a migrant is picked up trying to illegally enter the U.S. Thanks very much.

upon arrest, the alien is taken to a Border Patrol office where he is processed, in  other words, an arrest report is made, finger prints taken, checked against a national data base.  If the alien does not have a criminal background, he is usually sent back to Mexico 'voluntarily'. Which does not hold the hardship of a deportation.

Your character could petition for his father to immmigrate to the US.

Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol

30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations