Immigration Issues/Immigrating while a Student

Question
Hi Ajay:

My dad was recently granted permanent residency and I would like him to file for me. I am on a F-1 visa. The problem is that he does not live in the U.S as yet.

What are the steps to file for when it comes to showing tax returns? Can I show my mom tax returns who is on a H1B? Should I file now on my F1 visa? How long will it take for me to adjust status?

Thanks for your help
Candice

Answer
Hi Candice,

Your Dad can file for you even though he does not live in the U.S. You will be either in F2A or F2B category as per http://www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

It will take several years for you to be able to adjust status. Hopefully your father will have filed 3 years worth of tax returns at that time. If not, someone else who is a permanent resident or U.S. citizen can file affidavit of support for you and attach their tax returns.

It is OK for your father to sponsor you now, but I recommend that you not travel outside the U.S. on an F-1 visa since your father sponsoring you means that you have an intention to reside in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora