You are here:

Immigration Issues/Immigrating to the USA


Hello i am a Canadian citizen and i moved to Los Angeles a year and a half ago and currently reside here.  I am here to pursue acting and have tried many ways to get papers  i currently am employed doing construction for cash and am skilled in this but am told its not good for papers  i am wondering A: if i get a drivers licence am i putting myself at risk of being deported and B: do you know any way to get my papers here.  Thank you so much for your time

Sicerely Collin Sutton

It is unlikely that applying for a driver's license would trigger removal proceedings.  I've never seen that happen but USCIS is becoming increasingly active in rounding up and removing those who are illegally present so you never know.  I doubt you will get a Driver's License though since most states now require you to prove that you are legally present in the US.  

AS far as how to get lawful status here, I see no obvious way but that is not to say that it is not possible.  You may be eligible to get a green card based on employment but that would take several years (at least) and you may have other difficulties.  

Please contact me at if you want to discuss further.  

Jim Mills

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]