Immigration Issues/Immigrating to the USA

Question
Hello i am a Canadian citizen and i moved to Los Angeles a year and a half ago and currently reside here.  I am here to pursue acting and have tried many ways to get papers  i currently am employed doing construction for cash and am skilled in this but am told its not good for papers  i am wondering A: if i get a drivers licence am i putting myself at risk of being deported and B: do you know any way to get my papers here.  Thank you so much for your time

Sicerely Collin Sutton

Answer
It is unlikely that applying for a driver's license would trigger removal proceedings.  I've never seen that happen but USCIS is becoming increasingly active in rounding up and removing those who are illegally present so you never know.  I doubt you will get a Driver's License though since most states now require you to prove that you are legally present in the US.  

AS far as how to get lawful status here, I see no obvious way but that is not to say that it is not possible.  You may be eligible to get a green card based on employment but that would take several years (at least) and you may have other difficulties.  

Please contact me at jdmills@jdmillsesq.com if you want to discuss further.  

Jim Mills

James D. Mills, Esq.