Immigration Issues/US Immigration


Hi there..

I have a question and I was wondering if you could help me. Here's the story...My soon-to-be husband is going to Buffalo to do his masters in physiotherapy. We currently reside in Toronto, Ontario and we both are Canadian Citizens. What I'm wondering is that if I go with my soon to be husband to the United States, can I get a work permit? If I can, do I have to find a job first before getting a work permit or can I get a work permit since my husband will be in the United States studying and I want to stay with him.

Also, if I wanted to apply for immigration to US what do I do? Is it possible? Oh yeah, I should give a brief background...I'm 23 years old (my soon to be husband is 24 years old) and I have completed a Bachelor of Arts (HONS) specializing in Business and Marketing. I'm currently working at a permanent position right now as a secretary.

Thanks for all your help!


The best answer that I can give is "maybe". Certainly as a spouse of a student your are NOT qualified for a "work permit"  (BTW, there is no such thing in the United States as a "work permit", there are visas that grant automatic authorization for employment and there are other statuses that permit application for "Employment Authorization", but no such this as a "work permit").

Whether you would qualify for a status that would permit you to work, and how to obtain that status, is beyond the scope of what I can answer here since it requires a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.