Immigration Issues/US Immigration

Question
Hi there..

I have a question and I was wondering if you could help me. Here's the story...My soon-to-be husband is going to Buffalo to do his masters in physiotherapy. We currently reside in Toronto, Ontario and we both are Canadian Citizens. What I'm wondering is that if I go with my soon to be husband to the United States, can I get a work permit? If I can, do I have to find a job first before getting a work permit or can I get a work permit since my husband will be in the United States studying and I want to stay with him.

Also, if I wanted to apply for immigration to US what do I do? Is it possible? Oh yeah, I should give a brief background...I'm 23 years old (my soon to be husband is 24 years old) and I have completed a Bachelor of Arts (HONS) specializing in Business and Marketing. I'm currently working at a permanent position right now as a secretary.

Thanks for all your help!

Linda

Answer
Hi Linda,

Your husband will be studying in F-1 visa status, and you will be accompanying him in F-2 status. F-1 status allows for on-campus employment only, and up to one year of "practical training" upon graduation. Unfortunately, F-2 status does not allow for any employment at all.

If you find an employer in the U.S., the employer must file an H-1B visa petition for you and then you will be able to change your visa status from F-2 to H-1B. The employer can also file a green-card case for you (your husband will be included automatically) through a process called "labor certification". The problem arises in finding an employer to support you in filing these petitions.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora