Immigration Issues/Immigration

Question
I have a friend in Brazil that wants to come to the US and be a nanny for my brother.  She wants to stay for about 6 months - learn the language and babysit.  What would be the best way to do this?

Answer
Hi Mindi,

Your friend should apply for a visitor visa (B-2) at the U.S. Consulate in her home country: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

Please note that a visitor visa does not allow for employment, so your friend should be coming to visit you and your brother and not just be a nanny.

If your friend wants to be legally employed in the U.S., the following website is helpful: http://www.ows.doleta.gov/foreign/perm.asp (as you can see, the labor certification process is very difficult).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora