Immigration Issues/Immigration Advise


OK here is th edeal..... my daughter is 17 years old she has been engaged to a guy from Northern Ireland for about a year now. He has been here several times to visit her. Now she is pregnant and they want to marry and be together for the baby now more than ever. What is the best way to apply for visa? Should they marry and apply for a spouse visa? Should they just apply for a fiance visa? Or would it be easier to apply for a visa through the child bringing over a parent? She needs him here and needs his help in supporting and raising this child. She is 17 and he is 21. Could you please advise us as to the best way to go about getting him here permenantly. It is much appreciated, Thank you!

She needs to be 18.  She also needs to complete an affidavit of support to show that she has the income or assets to support him.  You could file as a cosponsor but that makes you responsible for any public benefits that he receives for the next ten years.  This is more complicated than can be explained in this forum.  You need to either retain an attorney to assist you or you will need to do a lot of research and learning on your own.

This is not that simple.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.