Immigration Issues/Immigration and Divorce

Question
I am an immigrant and my american citizen husband and I want to get divorced. I do not have my green card. We do not want to tell immigration that we are divorced. Can anyone find out if we do not inform them?

Answer
Hi Alice,

If you get divorced before you receive either the conditional or permanent resident status, the result of your adjustment of status interview (where both you and your husband appear in person by appointment at the local USCIS office) will be denial of your case. I cannot answer as to how the USCIS will independently determine at the time of the interview about your divorce.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora