Immigration Issues/Immigration Law Interview Questions

Question
Dear James D. Mills,

How are you? (That doesnt count as one of the questions. LOL) My name is Carlos Urtecho.  I am a junior in High School and I have to interview immigration lawyers.  I was wondering if you could take just a couple of minutes of your busy time to answer some of my questions. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.
1.   Out of all the thousands of professions around this world, why did you decide to become an immigration lawyer? Was there a particular person that played an influence in your decision of becoming an immigration lawyer? Who?
2.   Are you familiar with any websites that would be helpful in exploring immigration law?
3.   Are you pleased with the way the United States is handling immigration policy today?
4.   Do you believe illegal immigrants who have spent a long time in this country should or should not receive amnesty?
5.   Since the tragic day of 9/11/01, the United States along with the world has transformed.  Have you seen a difference in immigration since 9/11 or does immigration continue to be unchanged.
Thanks a lot for all of your help Mr. Mills.  By the way if you know of any other people who are immigration lawyers to whom I should speak or write to please let me know.  Thanks

CARLOS URTECHO

Answer
Q1. Out of all the thousands of professions around this world, why did you decide to become an immigration lawyer? Was there a particular person that played an influence in your decision of becoming an immigration lawyer? Who?

A1.  It kind of found me.  I was in computer maintenance and the high tech field before I attended law school and that led me to in-house counsel for computer consulting firms and the boom in the high tech field and the demand for workers led me to immigration.

Q2. Are you familiar with any websites that would be helpful in exploring immigration law?

A2.  My favorite websites for immigration law are www.immigration.com and www.usvisanews.com.

Q3. Are you pleased with the way the United States is handling immigration policy today?

A3.  Not at all.  The US is now focussed on enforcement and wants to remove any alien from the US that is removable.  There seems to be no exercise of prosecutorial discretion and the Patriot Act contains several provisions that are borderline constitutional, at best.

Q4. Do you believe illegal immigrants who have spent a long time in this country should or should not receive amnesty?

A4.  I think that illegal immigrants should receive some type of amnesty if they have been in the US for a long time.  The documentation of the millions of currently undocumented aliens would have many benefits to the United States and the aliens.

Q5. Since the tragic day of 9/11/01, the United States along with the world has transformed. Have you seen a difference in immigration since 9/11 or does immigration continue to be unchanged.

A5.  Absolutely.  The INS has been eliminated and enforcement seems to be the focus.

James D. Mills, Esq.