Immigration Issues/Immigration - USA

Question
My husband is a UK citizen, and I am a US citizen.  We have been married for 12 years, and lived in the UK until April 2002, when my husband's employer transfered him to NYC and got him a "blanket L1" visa, which expires in June 2005.  We would like to be able to stay in American and for him to have freedom to work for another company.
My 2 questions: What is the process to achieve this?  Does he need a Green Card first?  How long does this take?
Secondly, do we need to employ a lawyer to help us, or is this something we can do ourselves? Does doing it yourself take longer?

Answer
AS A U.S. CITIZEN YOU CAN PETITION FOR HIM TO GET A GREEN CARD. IN NY, IT TAKES ABOUT 2 YEARS. IN THE MEANTIME, HE CAN GET WORK PERMISSION WITHIN 4-6 MONTHS TO ALLOW HIM TO WORK FOR ANYONE.

YOU DO NOT NEED A LAWYER TO DO ANYTHING, BUT SOMETIMES IT IS MORE PRUDENT. IT DOES NOT TAKE LONGER TO DO YOURSELVES UNLESS MISTAKES ARE MADE AND THE PAPERS ARE REJECTED.

I HAVE AN OFFICE IN NY. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE MY ASSISTANCE. MY NUMBER IS 516 487 0500.

ROBERT

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>