You are here:

Immigration Issues/Immigration and divorce


I am a US citizen who married a man from Brazil.  Recently, I found out he had been cheating on me so we separated and I am planning to file for divorce.  The next step in his immigration process was to apply for the condition to be removed.  I do not plan to sign papers or go to an interview.  I know he is worried and seeking legal counsel.  I am concerned at what he may do in desperation.  What are his options at this point and what should I do to protect myself legally.  I was told he could claim I was 'crazy' and he could try to get a waiver...etc.

He can try anything he wants, but if you are not going to support the application, that is all there is.

However, the petition is only to prove that the initial marriage was legitimate.  Although it will be very difficult for him to prove that without you being there, it would appear that the marriage was legitimate (if not a happy one).

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.