Immigration Issues/Immigration question


My boyfriend is from the U.k and overstayed his indefinite visa by 3 yrs, which apparently expired in 2004 thx to 9/11 all these visas were pulled, it was called the burrough visa. His british passport expired in 1998. I have been supporting him the entire time…now he wants to go back to the UK. Can he go to the British Embassy and get his passport renewed  no problem? Will he be questioned about his visa status? I read somewhere on their site that they are not concerned with overstays or your status. Pls help!! Thanks

I cannot guarantee, but why on earth would they care? They need to give him a passport because he is a UK citizen. That is his right.  They do not enforce US immigration laws.  

Now note: Your boyfriend may have a serious problem ever coming back to the US since he overstayed his visa. But that is another issue.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.