Immigration Issues/Immigration of a spouse

Question
I am inquiring for a US citizen who has married a person in the country without documentation. They have been married for 2 years and have 2 children, both born in the US. They wish to apply for his permanent residence. Can they make an I130 application and then a K3 visa request with out him being returned to his country of origin? Or is there another path to follow? Will a lawyer be required?

Answer

If the immigrant spouse entered the U.S. on a visa (even if that visa has expired) then an I-130 petition along with I-485 (adjustment of status application) can be filed together, and the immigrant spouse will receive a green card.

If the immigrant spouse initially entered the U.S. without inspection (i.e., without a visa), then it is possible to only file I-130 without the I-485. If the immigrant spouse tries to apply for a K-3 visa (which can only be issued abroad) then he or she will be barred from the U.S. for 10 years. Therefore, my recommendation in this instance (where the spouse entered without inspection) is to file only I-130 and continue to remain in the U.S. Since I-485 cannot be filed, there is really no benefit in filing only the I-130.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora