You are here:

Immigration Issues/Inviting a relative to the US, for a temporary stay


I have the following problem - I have a permanent resident card, and I would like to invite my mother to come and visit me here in the USA. Is this legally possible, and if yes, what types of documents do I need to fill in order to do this? Also, I would like to ask what is the maximum period that she can stay in the US, if she comes to visit in this way.

R.Dimitrova, state of Illinois

Your mother can visit the US on a B-2 Visa for up to one year.  She will need to prove to the US Consulate that she has no intention on abandoning her residence; must demonstrate that she is able to support herself in the US (not allowed to work); must have a ticket to return to her home country.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.