Immigration Issues/J-1 to H-1B

Question
Hi Ajay,
I have a J-1 visa (postdoc)valid until 6/2008 and I am excepted from
the 2 years rule. A biotech-company is highly interested to employ me
beginning of 2007 and it looks like they have trouble to find somebody
else specialized enough for the position; is there any way arround the
cap? I am not sure if they are non-profit, but they get money from the bill gates foundation for the development of affordable malaria treatments...
May I work on the J1 until the H1 would be effective?
Thank you so much for your kind answer!

Answer
Hi Oliver,

It appears that you will be subject to the H-1B visa cap. Therefore, the earliest that the H-1B petition can be filed is April 01, 2007, with employment start date of October 01, 2007.

You should maintain valid nonimmigrant status (such as J-1) until the end of September, 2007. Maintaining J-1 status means that you must work for the sponsoring J-1 employer only. You can commence employment for the H-1B employer no earlier than October 01, 2007.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora