Immigration Issues/J-1 and H-1B

Question
Thanks Robert,

Your answers are very helpful. Could you share with me some details about processing the request for the change in my visa?

Based on my own research, I found out that I would need a No-Objection Statement from my home country. Is this correct? As my home country seems to be strict about this two-year home residency requirement, do you still think it is possible for me to request for a visa change?

Thanks,

CL
-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
Hi Robert,

It is  me, CL, again. I'm the one who asked about changing the visa from J-1 to H-1B.

My DS-2019 will expire on 07/31/07. You advised me that I request for a change on 04/01/07 for the work to begin on 10/01/07. Does this mean that I should go to my home country within the period from 08/01/07 to 9/31/07?

Thanks,

CL

Answer -
No - there is a 60 day grace period. So you can stay here, just can not work.

Robert

Answer
You do not need a no objection letter for change to H-1 only for green card application. It is nearly impossible for a Fullbright Scholar to get a waiver of the 2 year foreign residency but you do not have to worry about hat for H-1.

H-1 is a detailed application. You can retain me or anotehr lawyer or you can try to get info from internet, which I do not recommend.

Robert

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>