Immigration Issues/J-1 Visa


Dear Mr. Hollander,

I am a J-1 visa student from Russia. The J-1 visa has a 2 year residency requirement . This is due to the scholarship being sponsored by Bureau of educational and cultural affairs of the US.
I have met my future husband but we are afraid that we will not be able to stay together because of this technicality.  Is there anything we can do?  We have contacted the INS and State Department.  They said they only thing we could do was to get married and hope that we get approved for an exception.  We also asked about who needs to write the "no objection" letter.  And theysaid they didn't know.  We also contacted the Russian Embassy and they said contact INS.  any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated!!!


I do not handle J-1 waivers. The best way to confront your issue is to have very competant representation. One of the best in the business at J-1 waivers is Allen Kaye Esq. His phone number is 212-964-5858. I would consult him and see if he doesnt ease your fears.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]