Immigration Issues/J-1 question.

Question
Hello. This is my first time at this site; I hope that you can help me out. I am a foreign medical graduate; I had finished Medical School in India and am an Indian citizen. I was born in the Bahrain in the Middle East. I have been here in the United States on and off for the past three years trying to get into a medical residency program. I have been on a B1/B2 visa; I was in the process of converting my visa to an F-1 student visa. Last week I got an offer to join a medical residency; they offered me a J-1 visa. I am very keen on joining them but need some guidance on if I can stay within the United States for the conversion to the J-1 visa or if I have to go back to India to get it. I really would appreciate it if you were aware of any websites that might explain this all to me because it is a little confusing. I hope that I have been clear and thanks for taking the time.

Answer
Hi Michael,

You can change status from B1/B2 to J-1 while you are in the U.S. The approval notice will have a new I-94 attached to the bottom of the approval notice so you can continue to remain in the U.S.

If you travel outside the U.S. for any reason after changing status to J-1, then you would need to be issued a J-1 visa by a U.S. Consulate abroad in order to enter the U.S.

Form I-539 can be downloaded here: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-539.htm

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora