Immigration Issues/J-1 visa


I am a Ph.D. candidate from NCSU got a post doc in the same university. My subject is soil science. My funding is from university. I would like to know if I apply J-1 visa , whether it will be subjected to 2 year home residency requirement. If not can I transfer from J-1 to H1B later.  Advance,thanks for your response. I appreciate your time and consideration.


Most J-1's are subject to a two year residency requirement and are normally not the best option.

If you have a goal of getting a green card, I would suggest that you contemplate filing for an NIW or other employment based immigration petition which would allow you to have more options.  If you would like to consider this option or discuss others, you may contact me personally at (713) 917-6797 or
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]