Immigration Issues/J-4 visa

Question
Dear Ajay

I am a J-1 visa holder and doing internal medicanine residency in US.
My wife is a J-4 visa holder and she is planning to work in US. We've gotten work permit for her and as far as i know the work permit lasts for 3 years only and might be extended one more year. The question is : can it be extended more than one year? if yes , in what situations.

Sincerely

Jamil  

Answer
Dear Jamil,

Your wife received the work permit (also known as EAD) based on filing the application for employment authorization (Form I-765) under the category of J-2 visa status holder. She can continue to extend her EAD as needed as long as you maintain your J-1 status. However, if your J-1 visa status expires, your wife will no longer be able to extend EAD at that point.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora