Immigration Issues/J1 to H1B

Question
I am currently on the J1 visa but it will expire in December.
I want to transfer to the H1B status but I am not sure what I have to do for it.
Can you help me?
Is the process the same as just applying for the H1B without even having the J1 or do I have some advantages?
I appreciate your help and answer a lot.
They just seem to try to make it so hard.
Thanks so much,
Laura

Answer
Hi Laura,

You should first determine whether you are subject to the 2-year home country requirement. This would be noted both on the J-1 visa stamp in your passport, as well as Form DS-2019 or Form IAP-66.

If you are not subject to the home country requirement, the H-1B petition can be filed. The employment start date would be October 01, 2006 because of the visa cap restrictions in effect.

If you are subject to the 2-year home country requirement, then a waiver must first be obtained before the H-1B petition can be filed.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora