Immigration Issues/K1 Visa


My wife and I are US citizens. My sister-in-law came to the US via K1 visa approximately 5 months ago and was married to a US citizen immediately. After 3 months, he decided that he does not want to be married and has sent her to live with my wife and myself. My question is, where does she go from here? The divorce has not been filed or she has not recieved papers as of today. Is there anything that could or needs to be done right away? Should she contest the divorce?

This is a very bad situation.  She essentially has few rights.  I suggest she contact an attorney to go over the options.  For the visa to be finalized, the husband must be present since it is his application, not hers.  

If she wants to marry someone else, she will need to get divorced first.  He has no responsibility to obtain the divorce.

Again, contact an attorney because there are a couple of other options, but they are too complicated to go over here.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.