Immigration Issues/L-2 processing times

QUESTION: My husband has obtained an L-1 visa to work in the US, and I am planning to apply for my L-2 visa in a couple of months.  How long of a processing time should I expect, from the day I have my interview at the US Embassy and submit all the required documents, until the day I get my passeport with a visa back?

ANSWER: Marta: Usually the consulate will issue the visa on the day of the interview. It would take longer if they require additional documentation. Every consulate has its own procedures and processing times, so please visit the US consulate website in your country for this information.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick and precise information!  I would also like to know also how long it would take to obtain the required form i-797 for myself?  Thanks again.

Marta: You will not get a I-797 form, you will have the L-2 visa stamped on your passport and when you enter the US they will give you a document called the I-94. The I-797 form will be issued for instance if you were to extend your L-2 inside the US.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,