Immigration Issues/L1 to H1

Question
1) I am currently on L1 visa and i do have a valid H1B which was valid from 2005 till 2008 but i did not work on H1B. Now, I am planning to shift from L1 to H1B. Will there be any problems?
2) My wife is on L2 visa and she had got her EAD, If i change my status from L1 to H1 will her EAD be valid? Does she also had to change to H4 as soon as start working on H1B?
3) Since my L1 is valid till 2008,Can she be on L2 Status even if i change to H1?
4) WE are planning to apply for SSN with her EAD and L2 Visa documents. What if i change my status to H1? will the SSN still be valid?

Answer
Hi Chandra,

In order to active H-1B status, you need to apply at a U.S. Consulate abroad for an H-1B visa, and then enter the U.S. on the H-1B visa. You will apply for the H-1B visa based on the H-1B approval notice that you already have from the USCIS.

Your wife will lose her L-2 status as soon as you enter the U.S. on H-1B visa. Therefore, your wife should depart the U.S. and apply for H-4 visa at a U.S. Consulate (she can apply at the same time as you, but not before you), and then enter the U.S. at the same time as you (she can also enter the U.S. later than you). She cannot be employed in H-4 status.

Your wife's ssn will still be valid, but she cannot be employed in H-4 visa status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora