Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 Transfer



I am working on an L1B VISA and i would like it to be converted into H1B.

1. Do i need to go back to India so that the conversion takes place?
2. Will my currrent company be notified  when I am changing the status of my VISA?
3. Will my L1B get cancelled if the H1B is not approved?
4. If I would like to convert my L1B to Greencard how long does it usually take till my EAD comes?


1) No. You do not need to leave the country for a change of status to H-1B. But if you leave the country and wish to reenter the US you would need to obtain H visa stamped on  your passport
3)There is no cancellation as such but you will no longer be on L-1B from the effective date of the H approval.
4)There are too many stages for you to go through. I cannot estimate the time.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.