Immigration Issues/L1 to H1 Transfer

Question

I am working on an L1B VISA and i would like it to be converted into H1B.

1. Do i need to go back to India so that the conversion takes place?
2. Will my currrent company be notified  when I am changing the status of my VISA?
3. Will my L1B get cancelled if the H1B is not approved?
4. If I would like to convert my L1B to Greencard how long does it usually take till my EAD comes?

Thanks

Answer
Ajay,
1) No. You do not need to leave the country for a change of status to H-1B. But if you leave the country and wish to reenter the US you would need to obtain H visa stamped on  your passport
2)NO.
3)There is no cancellation as such but you will no longer be on L-1B from the effective date of the H approval.
4)There are too many stages for you to go through. I cannot estimate the time.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan