Immigration Issues/L1-L2 visa change

Question
My wife is currently working in L1 visa and her company says she needs to go back to India in another 10 days. I have applied L2(I am in L1) for her on May17th and got the EAC reciept. It may take another 1 month for approval  from USCIS. My question is how long she can be in US without the Payroll in her company. (i.e., she is not going to resign her company, but she won't be going for work) and live with me.
Can she be in US till she gets her L2 approved? If yes how long she can stay in US without L2 approval?
Please reply back to me asap.
thanks,
Siva

Answer
Hi Siva,

Since the L2 was filed while she was still maintaining L1 status, it is OK if she is removed from the payroll of the company after the L2 was filed. She can remain legally in the U.S. as long as it takes for the USCIS to approve the L2 application, and when the L2 application is approved, a new I-94 should be attached to the bottom of the approval notice, allowing her to continue to remain in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora