Immigration Issues/L1 & L2 visas


My husband is on an L1 visa due to company transfer, myself and children are on L2 visas.  I have tried to get a Virginia driving licence and have been declined.  I have been told to have my name added to the I797B and then the DMV will accept this as secondary proof of ID - is this possible and what is the procedure to obtain it?

Sandra: There is no way to add your name to your husband L-1. Your I-94 should be proof enough of your status. You need to tell them there is no such provision to do so. I would suggest that you consult with an immigration lawyer in your city.

In the alternative you can apply for an Employment authorization document, SS# and then apply for a driver's license.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.