Immigration Issues/L1 Visa

Question
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and answer the following question. We have been in the Telecom/Web Hosting Business for 3 years. Last 2 years we have employed the services of a small one man consulting firm which managed our technical resources as well as 6 US based employees. We have now come to a point where we would like for him to relocate to the US. We are limited by his lack of university education and work experience(5 years) for the H1B. He is non-the less a good manager and highly skillful. Is it possible to buy a majority stake in his consulting company and relocate him under the L1 visa, providing we have hire another employee take over his everyday duties in the German market as well acquire some new German business?

Answer
Hi Alek,

Yes, a majority stake can be bought in his company, and he can be relocated to the U.S. company.

However, the L-1A petition, which is filed by the U.S. company, must show that the foreign company (the German company) will continue to function in this man's absence. It will also be helpful for the German company to hire a few employees or increase business activity prior to the L-1A filing; this shows that this employee was working in a managerial or executive capacity in Germany.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora