Immigration Issues/L1B visa to H1B visa


I transfered to the US with my current company through a L1B visa. I understand that if my position is terminated I will need to leave the country immediately. Is that correct? If so, is my current employer responsible to cover the costs to return to my home country? My second question is related to changing employer. Can I change employer if I have a L1B visa? Would it help to transfer my L1B visa to a H1-B visa to facilitate an inter-company move and to avoid immediate deportation if my current position is eliminated?

You should leave the country if you are being terminated.  I suggest that you negotiate with your employer for transport back to your home country but they are not required to pay for your passage.

You can change to another L employer but cannot change to H1 at this time because there are no available visas.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.