You are here:

Immigration Issues/L2 to H1b Conversion - urgent



I have got H1b approval last year and when I have approached Chennai for Visa stamping, my H1b was put in query (form 221g) and as on today the request for stamping got expired. Subsequently I have come to US on L2 status, (My wife is having L1 Status).

Can I convert to my old H1b status from L2 where H1b visa is valid. Or parallel try for both EAD as well as H1b transfer. what would be ur suggestion. For H1b stamping do I need to go outside US for stamping.  

My suggestion is that you can try to transfer your H if it is still valid to another company that will hire you under H.  There may be an issue as to whether you are exempt from the cap or not but you may get it approved.  You should not have to go outside the country to get your new H1 B stamped.

As you may know, the easiest would be for you to try for an EAD.

Good Luck
Mark Ashley  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.